I love Irish mashed peas. This recipe is very untraditional but hold its own. Great as a side to pork or meat.
- 1 16oz pack of frozen peas
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar in the raw
- 1/4 tsp salt
- A pinch of white pepper
- A pinch of smoked habanero or Cayenne pepper.
- Place all ingredients but the peas in a medium pan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add peas to pot, bring back to a boil and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- take off the stove, let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Use a hand blander to mash everything together to a smooth but not pasty consistency.
- Simmer covered on the lowest flame settings possible for 5 minutes.